100 Years Ago – March 1912
The Committee established by the church in November 1911, was given the task of looking into the establishment of a Presbyterian Ladies’ College. It was to promote and seek support for such a venture. One of the avenues open to the committee was the Presbyterian paper: ‘The Outlook’. In the March 19, 1912, issue there is an appeal to the church by the Co-conveners of the committee, an appeal which ends with these words:
5: And Why We Should Do It.
The Godly upbringing of the youth of our Church presents problems more acute than ever before. Our baptised children are in great part uninstructed in the faith. The mind of many a child is a clean slate in which Romanist and Ritualist and Atheist are writing their errors. It befits the Church that in the first and second reformations shook off these corruptions to show sacrifice for the sake of religious education. It is time that we were regaining the leeway lost in the last 36 years. In beginning, we cannot do better than train the mothers of the future. We are already doing this for the Maori girls at Turakina. We should now do it at Havelock North for girls of British blood.
The Church appeals, therefore, to her loyal sons and daughters, whom in these days of plenty the Lord has prospered, to secure that the country settlers of Presbyterian convictions will have a college in which their daughters will find a general education surpassed nowhere in the world, and get beside that training in the Word of God and in the creeds and catechisms of our Church which, being mixed with faith in them that hear, will send them out worthy communicants of the Church of their Covenanting fathers.
In the name of the General Assembly’s Committee.
James Paterson (Wellington)
Alexander Grant (Dannevirke)